FOLLOW US

Facebook  Twitter  RSS

Feed aggregator

Internet Balloons Turned On In Puerto Rico By Google Parent

CBS 4 South Florida - 42 min ago

Follow CBSMIAMI.COM: Facebook | Twitter

MENLO PARK, Calif. (CBSMiami/AP) — Stratospheric balloons are now delivering the internet to remote areas of Puerto Rico where cellphone towers were knocked out by Hurricane Maria, Google’s parent Alphabet Inc. said Friday.

Two of the search giant’s “Project Loon” balloons are already over the country enabling texts, emails and basic web access to AT&T customers with handsets that use its 4G LTE network.

Mike Cassidy, Vice President & Project Leader of Project Loon at Google, inside the secretive Google X research lab in Mountain View, CA. The GoogleX Project Loon aims to provide balloon-powered Internet for everyone worldwide. (Photo by Brooks Kraft LLC/Corbis via Getty Images)

The balloons — called HBAL199 and HBAL237 — are more than 60,000 feet (18,000 meters) above land, according to FlightRadar24.com. They navigate using an algorithm that puts them in the best position to deliver signal by rising and falling to ride wind currents. They are also solar-powered and only provide signal during the day.

Several more balloons are on their way from Nevada, and Alphabet has been authorized by the Federal Communications Commission to send up to 30 balloons to serve the hard-hit area, according to Libby Leahy, spokeswoman for Alphabet’s X, its division for futuristic technologies.

Project Loon head Alastair Westgarth said in a blog post that Project Loon is “still an experimental technology and we’re not quite sure how well it will work,” though it has been tested since last year in Peru following flooding there.

Hurricane Maria devastated the U.S. territory of 3.4 million people since making landfall last month. Gov. Ricardo Rossello said Friday the death toll had risen to 49. Less than a fifth of the island has electricity, half its cellphone towers are still not functioning, schools are closed and more than 4,000 are in shelters, according to a government website.

AT&T spokesman Jeffrey Kobs said the company has set up 14 temporary cell sites, and as of Friday more than 60 percent of the population was connected via mobile network, in part due to the help of humanitarian and government groups and Project Loon.

Other technology companies such as Cisco, Facebook and Tesla have also pledged help or have sent teams to the island to improve communications and restore power.

(TM and © Copyright 2017 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2017 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)

Possible Serial Killer ‘Terrorizing’ Tampa Neighborhood

CBS 4 South Florida - 1 hour 11 min ago

Follow CBSMIAMI.COM: Facebook | Twitter

TAMPA (CBSMiami/WTSP) — A $25,000 reward is being offered for information leading to an arrest in the recent Seminole Heights killings.

Police in Tampa have called this individual, seen on surveillance video, as a person of interest following mysterious murders in the last few weeks. (Source: Tampa Police Dept.)

The reward, offered by Crime Stoppers of Tampa Bay and ATF, comes following the identification of a third victim.

The latest victim was identified Anthony Naiboa, 20. A recent high school graduate who had autism. Investigators say Naiboa had accidentally taken the wrong bus home and ended up in the Seminole Heights neighborhood where he was shot to death around 8:00 p.m. Thursday night.

Tampa Police are frustrated. They have saturated the neighborhood and, somehow, the gunman still got away within minutes of Naiboa’s shooting.

“I go from frustration to anger,” said Tampa Police Chief Brian Dugan.

Dugan says it’s just too coincidental to be anything but connected. Thee murder victims in just 10 days, all within a few square blocks of each other.

“When you look at the timeframe, the proximity, that there is no apparent motive, that they are alone, the victims are a lot of the time, it’s clear to me that they’re all linked,” he said.

Joy Dupree lives around the corner from two of the shootings. She could hear the shots. Three the first time, she said, and one gunshot Thursday night.

“I mean, it’s pretty scary. And it being so close is what makes it even scarier. So, you just stay in the house,” said Dupree.

On October 9th, police found the body of Benjamin Mitchell, 22, at a bus stop at 15th Street and East Frierson Ave.

On October 13th they found the body of Monica Hoffa in a field near the 1000 Block of East New Orleans Ave – only a few blocks away. They believe Hoffa had been shot two days earlier.

As a result of the first two murders, Tampa police had already saturated the neighborhood. They got to the scene of the latest shooting in minutes. They brought in the dogs. Called in the SWAT team. But the suspect had already gotten away.

“We instantaneously had a perimeter set up last night. I was convinced that we were going to catch this person,” said Chief Dugan.

Dugan described the shooter as an animal and a terrorist, but stopped short of using the words ‘serial killer’.

“We are still sifting through evidence,” he said. “We can call it what we want. If that brings attention to this, that’s fine.”

The shootings have frightened people living and working in the area.

Just a few blocks away, at a stretch of trendy stores and restaurants along Nebraska Avenue, there is concern customers could stay away.

“People will be scared to come in,” said Marez George, who works at a local cafe. “Especially, I’m not talking about just this restaurant, the area itself. Like me, I’m scared to come around this area now,” she said.

Investigators are now checking local houses and businesses looking for security cameras that might have captured images around the time of the shootings.

The police already have surveillance video of a person of interest seen wearing a hoodie the night of the first murder.

“We need somebody to tell us who that person is, or we need that person to come forward so we can eliminate them as a suspect,” said Chief Dugan. “That’s where it starts, with that video right there.”

An $18,000 reward, which was expected to climb, was being offered for information leading to an arrest in the case.

Chief Dugan says anyone traveling alone in the area of the murders will be considered one of two things for now. Either a possible victim, or a possible suspect.

The Chief’s advice to people in the area is to stay outside, but not alone. Be alert so they can catch this person.

“We’re not going to be held hostage by whoever is doing this. We need everyone to come out of their homes at night,” said Chief Dugan. “Turn on their porch lights. And, just not tolerate this type of terrorism in the neighborhood.”

Anyone with information is asked to call Crime Stoppers at 813-442-9300 or ATF at 813-918-6367.

Fox renewed Bill O'Reilly contract knowing of harassment allegations

CBC (canada) World - 1 hour 25 min ago

The Fox News Channel says the company knew a news analyst planned to file a sexual harassment lawsuit against Bill O'Reilly when it renewed the popular personality's contract in February.

Late Field Goal Lifts Louisville Over Florida State

CBS 4 South Florida - 2 hours 6 min ago

Follow CBSMIAMI.COM: Facebook | Twitter

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) — Blanton Creque made a 34-yard field goal with five seconds remaining as Louisville defeated Florida State 31-28 on Saturday and got its first win at Doak Campbell Stadium since 1952.

The Cardinals (5-3, 2-3 Atlantic Coast Conference) took over on their own 24 with 2:05 remaining after Henry Famurewa recovered a James Blackman fumble. They then drove 59 yards in eight plays before Creque’s kick. The win ends a Louisville nine-game losing streak in Tallahassee.

Cornerback Russ Yeast #6 of the Louisville Cardinals runs the ball past linebacker Matthew Thomas #6 of the Florida State Seminoles at Doak Campbell Stadium on October 21, 2017 in Tallahassee, Florida. (Photo by Michael Chang/Getty Images)

Lamar Jackson accounted for 334 yards of total offense and scored two touchdowns. The junior had 23 rushes for 178 yards and was 13 of 21 passing for 156 yards. Reggie Bonnafon had 74 yards on 16 carries as the Cardinals snapped a three-game conference losing streak.

Florida State (2-4, 2-3) has dropped its first three home games for the first time since 1974. Blackman was 16 of 28 for 248 yards with two touchdowns and two interceptions. Cam Akers was the leading rusher with 16 carries for 75 yards and Jacques Patrick had 70 yards on 14 carries.

Florida State trailed 28-14 going into the fourth quarter before rallying. Nyqwan Murry had a hand in both touchdowns. He recovered a Patrick fumble in the end zone to bring the Seminoles within a touchdown and then tied it when he hauled in a 20-yard pass from Blackman.

The game was tied at 14 at halftime before Louisville took a two-touchdown lead with 5:11 remaining in the third quarter. Bonnafon gave the Cardinals the lead with a 2 yard run. Following a Trumaine Williams interception, Dae Williams put them up by two scores when he went 25 yards around the right end.

Louisville scored on its opening drive as Jackson went up the right sideline for a 22-yard touchdown run. Florida State answered on its ensuing drive as Blackman found a wide open Ryan Izzo from 7 yards out.

The Seminoles got their first defensive score in two years with 4:08 remaining in the first half when Matthew Thomas picked up a Jackson fumble and went 34 yards off a Joshua Kaindoh forced fumble. Louisville tied it though going into the half when Seth Dawkins caught a 26-yard pass from Jackson despite great coverage from Florida State’s Kyle Meyers.

THE TAKEAWAY

Louisville: The Cardinals gave up 364 rushing yards last week but was able to play solid against a Florida State rushing game that had gone over 200 yards the past two games as the Seminoles had just 155 yards.

Florida State: The Seminoles have games remaining against Syracuse, Clemson and Florida remaining, which makes their path to getting bowl eligible difficult. After being ranked third in the AP preseason poll, missing a bowl for the first time since 1982 would be the ultimate nightmare come true.

KICKING STREAKS SNAPPED

Louisville’s Creque and Florida State’s Ricky Aguayo had come in as two of the hotter kickers in the ACC, but both had field goal streaks snapped. Creque was wide right from 45 yards on the last play of the first half, ending his string of 14 straight, which was tied for the second longest in school history. Aguayo had made 11 straight after missing his first two this season but was wide right from 44 on the opening drive of the second half.

UP NEXT

Louisville: Travels to Wake Forest next Saturday. The Demon Deacons led 12-10 going into the fourth quarter of last year’s game before the Cardinals scored 34 straight points.

Florida State: The Seminoles are at Boston College on Friday. FSU has won seven straight in the series, including 45-7 last year.

(© Copyright 2017 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

Miami Gardens Man Killed Stepping Out Of His Car

CBS 4 South Florida - 2 hours 41 min ago

Follow CBSMIAMI.COM: Facebook | Twitter

Miami Gardens (CBSMiami) — Miami Gardens Police are investigating an overnight shooting that ended in the death of a man.

Police investigate a deadly shooting in Miami Gardens on Oct. 21, 2017. (Source: CBS4)

Lazarus White was found with multiple gunshot wounds at 21331 N.W. 39th Avenue. Miami Dade Fire Rescue responded and pronounced him deceased.

Investigators said he had just arrived home and was exiting his vehicle when he shot.

“Like four or five shots,” said a neighbor. “I looked out the window and I saw the body. It was very scary for me.”

Anyone with information that could help find his killer should contact Miami-Dade County Crimestoppers at (305) 471-TIPS (8477) or go to http://www.crimestoppersmiami.com and select “Give a Tip.” A reward up to $3,000 has been offered for tips leading to an arrest.

South Florida Man Repeats Win At Keys Stone Crab Eating Contest

CBS 4 South Florida - 2 hours 54 min ago

Follow CBSMIAMI.COM: Facebook | Twitter

MARATHON, FL Keys (CBSMiami) — For the second consecutive year, Juan Mallen took top honors at the annual Stone Crab Eating Contest Saturday in the Florida Keys.

Juan Mallen raises his hands to signify victory at the Keys Fisheries Stone Crab Eating Contest Saturday, Oct. 21, 2017, in Marathon, Fla. Mallen, a 50-year-old commercial appliance technician, cracked and ate 25 stone crab claws in 15 minutes and 6 seconds winning for the second consecutive year. (Andy Newman/Florida Keys News Bureau/HO)

Mallen, a 50-year-old commercial appliance technician from Hialeah, Fla., cracked and ate 25 stone crab claws in the fastest time, 15 minutes and 6 seconds. But it did not beat the contest’s overall record he set last year with a time of 12:54.

The lively contest tasked competitors with picking cracked claws completely clean. No claw meat could be left uneaten, lest risking a time penalty.

Sally Mishmash, left, and Sandra Bradshaw, right, compete in the team division of the Keys Fisheries Stone Crab Eating Contest Saturday, Oct. 21, 2017, in Marathon, Fla. (Andy Newman/Florida Keys News Bureau/HO)

“I’m very tense right now, excited, this is crazy, two years in a row, unbelievable,” Mallen said. “The secret to win the contest is to be very hungry first, then make sure you break everything first, then make sure about the knuckles.

“Eat as fast as you can,” he said.

Greg D’Agostino paired up with fellow Marathon, Fla., resident Ryan Beckett to claim their fourth consecutive top team title with a time of 9:55.

The Florida Keys is Florida’s leading regional supplier of the world-renowned delicacy — considered a renewable resource because of the crabs’ ability to re-grow harvested claws.

About 40 percent of the state’s stone crab harvest that averages more than 2 million pounds annually comes from Keys waters, according to the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission.

Stone crab harvest season began Oct. 15 and continues through May 15, 2018.

Syndicate content